mardi 8 décembre 2015

The Miura Hanshi mosaic portrait


2 weeks ago we had our KNBK Winter Gasshuku. I drove from Alabama to Pennsylvania, 16 hours, mostly under  heavy rain...





Riding with me in the car was our Miura Hanshi Mosaic, a piece I was able to build thanks to generous contributions of people who backed my Kickstarter campaign. Contributions came from a number of Countries, mainly USA and France, and Martial Artists, mostly KNBK Iaijutsu and Yoshukai Karate students.



This mosaic is an interpretation of a picture of Miura Hanshi practicing Tameshigiri on a rolled sheet of paper. Miura Hanshi was well know for his quasi supernatural ability to cut. This picture was his preferred one of himself and was displayed at the entrance of his dojo in Osaka.

The Miura Hanshi mosaic was presented to Carl Long Hanshi, head instructor of the KNBK, an organization dedicated to the transmission of several traditional Japanese Martial Arts. 



Miura Hanshi, 10th Dan, was the 20th generation grandmaster of Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu. The presentation occurred in front of 60 Martial Artists gathered to train together in the Arts he  dedicated his life to transmit to us. 


The Miura Hanshi mosaic was built following the reverse method. It is made of 3 different black granites, ceramic and glass tiles. Its dimensions are 24 x 30" (60 x 75 cm).


Beside my great interest in studying and teaching Zen and Martial Arts,  
I am also a modern mosaic artist with a deep admiration for ancient Greek, Roman and Byzantine Arts. 

You can see some of my own mosaics on my site mosaicblues.

 







A few times each year, I take on commission work.

If you are interested by a custom mosaic
portrait or an other decorative piec
for your Dojo or Home, 
please contact me

or 
by phone at (334) 798 1639. 

 

   You can also




to receive regular updates on the world and techniques
of mosaics in general and on my other projects.

Aucun commentaire: