The University of Queensland, Australia has released an interesting study for anyone looking to lose weight. Researchers found that the gentle, yet powerful, exercise known as Tai chi helps with obesity and excess weight, in a number of ways. The Australian scientists discovered that tai chi:
- Improves body mass index (BMI);
- Reduces the amount of abdominal fat and overall waist measurements;
- Improves blood sugar balance–a critical element for maintaining a healthy weight or to lose weight;
- Reduces high blood pressure;
- Significantly reduces depression; and
- Improves the body’s use of insulin (insulin resistance)–a significant factor for weight gain and diabetes, among other serious health conditions.
Tai chi is a Chinese internal martial arts often practiced to improve health. It is designed to facilitate the flow of fluids and Qi (life force) in the body, promoting good health and vitality. Tai Chi generally utilizes martial arts movements.
Tai Chi is suitable for most people, including those suffering from injuries and illness.